Morocco’s King Mohammed VI To Cover Pop Singer’s Legal Fees In French Rape Case

saad-lamjarred
Pop singer Saad Lamjarred

They do not see rape as a crime.

Morocco’s King Mohammed VI will cover the legal fees of pop singer Saad Lamjarred, imprisoned in France charged with “aggravated rape”, the official MAP news agency reported on Tuesday.

Rabat’s embassy in Paris confirmed the information.

MAP said the king had told Lamjarred’s family that French lawyer Eric Dupond Moretti, known for securing his clients’ acquittals, “can defend the singer”.

The king “decided to cover the corresponding costs”, MAP said, sourcing its information to Rabat’s embassy in Paris.

The embassy told AFP: “This is a favourable response to a request from the family of the singer who sought his majesty’s intervention, and with respect for the presumption of innocence”.

Lamjarred, 31, is a star in Morocco and the wider Arab world and his internet videos have received hundreds of millions of hits…

According to initial results of the inquiry, Lamjarred was said to be under the influence of both alcohol and drugs at the time of the alleged offences.  DailyMail

DOJ Drops Charges Against Alleged Broker Of Libyan Weapons after He Threatened To Expose Obama And Clinton’s Role In Arming Extremists

clinton-obamaAmerican Marc Turi was charged with selling weapons to Libyan rebels at a time when it was illegal to do so.

Turi was indicted in 2014 on charges of arms dealing in violation of the Arms Export Control Act and lying to the State Department in official applications, with prosecutors arguing that he falsely claimed the weapons were destined for Qatar and the UAE. DailyMail

An associate of Mr Turo’s told Politico: ‘They don’t want this stuff to come out because it will look really bad for Obama and (Hillary) Clinton just before the election.’

“The joint motion asks the judge to accept a confidential agreement to resolve the case through a civil settlement between the State Department and the arms broker.”  Why a confidential agreement?  This stinks!  Another cover-up.

The deal averts a trial that threatened to cast additional scrutiny on Hillary Clinton’s private emails as Secretary of State, and to expose reported Central Intelligence Agency attempts to arm rebels fighting Libyan leader Moammar Qadhafi.

Government lawyers were facing a Wednesday deadline to produce documents to Turi’s legal team, and the trial was officially set to begin on Election Day, although it likely would have been delayed by protracted disputes about classified information in the case.

A Turi associate asserted that the government dropped the case because the proceedings could have embarrassed Clinton and President Barack Obama by calling attention to the reported role of their administration in supplying weapons that fell into the hands of Islamic extremist militants.

“They don’t want this stuff to come out because it will look really bad for Obama and Clinton just before the election,” said the associate.

In the dismissal motion, prosecutors say “discovery rulings” from U.S. District Court Judge David Campbell contributed to the decision to drop the case. The joint motion asks the judge to accept a confidential agreement to resolve the case through a civil settlement between the State Department and the arms broker.  Full article at Politico

Poor Oversite – Weapons to Libya and Syria

In July, Turi told Fox News about the U.S. illegally supplying Libyan rebels with arms.

“When this equipment landed in Libya, half went one way, and the half went the other way,”  Turi said, emphasizing that poor oversight, allowed individuals hostile to the United States to get arms.  “The half that went the other way is the half that ended up in Syria.”

Turi provided  Fox News with emails he exchanged – in early April 2011 – with Chris Stevens to alert him  to the proposed weapons deal.  The emails were previously cited by the New York Times. Fox News

2 Olympic Boxers Arrested For Sexual Assault On Maids

Jones Junius flag-bearer for Namibia.
Jones Junius Namibia flag-bearer.

A second Olympic boxer has been accused by a housekeeper in the athletes’ village of sexual assault.

Rio de Janeiro police say Namibia’s flag bearer has been arrested for sexual assault, four days after another Olympic boxer was accused of sexually attacking two housekeepers in the Olympic Village.

Authorities say a housekeeper told police she was assaulted by 22-year-old Jonas Junius, a boxer who competes in light-middleweight division. Junius was set to fight with French boxer Hassan Amzile on Thursday. ABC12

The arrest of Junius follows a similar incident last week, when boxer Hassan Saada from Morocco was arrested on sexual assault charges.

 

MOROCCAN-BOXER
Hassan Saada

A Moroccan boxer was arrested after ‘attempting to rape two chambermaids in the Olympic Village’ in Brazil.

A Moroccan boxer has been arrested on suspicion of attempting to rape two chambermaids in the Olympic Village in Brazil.

Hassan Saada was detained by police this morning over claims he attempted to sexually assault the two women in the athletes’ accommodation at Barra de Tijuca.

The 22-year-old athlete will miss out of competing in the games following allegations that he sexually assaulting two Brazilian domestic maids at the Olympic Village.

Saada, married and  a light heavyweight boxer, was taken to a police station close the Olympic Stadium where he was stripped of his Olympic competitor status.  Detective Caroline Solomon of Recreio Police confirmed the athlete has been stripped of his credentials…She said the penalty, if convicted, is between six and 10 years…

Judge Nunes Saly  said,  Brazilian laws apply to everyone – Brazilians and visitors alike. Everyone must obey the law. DailyMail

Gaddafi’s son Saif, Libya’s Former Heir Apparent, Released From Libya Prison

A hearing in a courtroom.
A hearing in a courtroom.

Gaddafi’s British-educated and most Western-oriented son Saif, was released from death row in Libya earlier this year, his lawyer said, he still faces charges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) for crimes against humanity.  Mr Khan told France 24. “He is well and safe and he’s in Libya.”

The former Libyan dictator’s second son “was given his liberty on April 12, 2016”, lawyer Karim Khan said Wednesday, adding that Saif al-Islam was released under an amnesty previously declared by the Tobruk parlement, the internationally recognised authority that governed part of Libya before the national unity government of Fayez al-Sarraj took over in March. According to the lawyer, this release was made “in accordance with (Libyan) law”.

Saif al-Islam, who was regarded as Gaddafi’s likeliest successor, had been held since 2011 by a militia in Zintan, in a mountainous western region beyond the control of authorities in the capital, Tripoli…

Saif al-Islam is also wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, which issued an arrest warrant in 2011 on preliminary charges of crimes against humanity, murder and persecution for being part of the inner circle of his father’s regime.

Khan said he would file an application to make the ICC case inadmissible, arguing that his client has already been tried by his home country.

Invoking the principle of “double jeopardy”, he said: “It is prohibited to try an individual twice for the same offense”.France24

Islamic State Expanding To Europe, Mideast, North Africa, Asia

isisflagmansyriaISIS tentacles are infiltrating cells into seven areas in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and Asia, that “represent areas where there is expected to be a continued interest in operating, support networks to do so, and a likelihood for more than a one-off attack,” a State Department security report states.

Two years since it shifted from terrorist group to governing organization holding territory, the Islamic State is expanding to seven emerging areas of Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and Asia, according to a State Department security report.

“In addition to establishing its base in Syria and Iraq, and naming official provinces in numerous countries, [the Islamic State group] has demonstrated a heightened capability to carry out and operate in the [seven] countries,” the report by the Overseas Security Advisory Council states. The council is a State Department organization that provides security support to American businesses operating overseas.

The seven new theaters of operation are Turkey, Tunisia, Lebanon, France, Belgium, Bangladesh and the Philippines.

The Islamic State group, also known as ISIS and ISIL, is active in other locations as well, but the seven locations “represent areas where there is expected to be a continued interest in operating, support networks to do so, and a likelihood for more than a one-off attack,” the report states. Washington Times

ISIS Sets Sights On Overthrowing Governments Of Morocco and Tunisia

North_Africa_regions_mapAmid growing civil unrest in Morocco and Tunisia, ISIS has launched a media campaign directed at Muslims to attack both states and oust their ‘apostate’ democratic governments.

The campaign, launched on Thursday, consists of several videos released by different ISIS provinces. The jihadists participating in the campaign call on Muslims to join ISIS strongholds in Tunisia, Libya, Mali and Algeria in order to oust the apostate democratic governments of Tunisia and Morocco and replace them with an Islamic regime based on Sharia law.

ISIS jihadists blame the Islamic Maghreb’s governments for striving to ‘westernize’ Muslims by cultivating Western lifestyle which contradicts the Islamic tradition in their state. They also vehemently attack Tunisia for its participation in the international coalition against ISIS, claiming that Tunisia takes part in the killing of Sunnis together with Russia and the US, in the guise of fighting terror.

A Tunisian jihadist speaking in the video urges Muslims to attack Tunisia, saying: “Follow in the footsteps of your brothers in Paris. Is it easier to bypass the security measures in Paris than in Tunisia? No. But we know Tunisia and we know its coward policemen. Hence, you can do twice as much as your brothers have done in France.” JPost

Former Imam Converts to Christianity After Seeing Jesus In A Dream, ‘The Bible Became My Weapon’

A Muslim cleric went from violence to peace.Tofik

A former Muslim cleric who converted to Christianity after meeting Jesus in a dream was abandoned by his family and brutally beaten. He now says his faith taught him how to forgive.

In an interview with World Watch Monitor, Tofik (not his real name) described his training as an extremist Muslim cleric in West Africa. As a young man he was taught to hate Christianity, and he and his fellow pupils “went to the nearby town and met believers. We beat them and then attacked the church.”

“Our teachers would tell us every time there was a new church in town and we were told to go and attack the people and destroy the church. So that’s what we did,” he explained. Many students burnt Bibles, but Tofik says something stopped him from joining in. He even kept a Bible for many years, not knowing why, though he says he “now understand[s] it was God holding my hand”.

After further training in Saudi Arabia, Tofik returned to his hometown and became a prominent Imam, leading the construction of 16 new mosques. He forbade the preaching of Christianity, but eventually became got involved in an interfaith tree-planting project. It was around that time that he had a dream about Jesus.

“There was an incident in 2002 where I had a vision from the Lord early in the morning around 3 am. In the vision I saw Jesus very clearly telling me to follow him,” he said.

“I asked the person who was calling me to follow him, ‘Who are you?’ He said, ‘I am Jesus Christ’.” Read more at ChristianityToday.

Islamic Militant Attack On Egyptian Army Checkpoints

egyptsinaimapAt least 50 Egyptian soldiers were killed in coordinated Islamic militant attacks in Egypt’s northern Sinai Peninsula.

Islamic militants on Wednesday unleashed a wave of simultaneous attacks, including suicide car bombings, on Egyptian army checkpoints in the restive northern Sinai Peninsula, killing at least 50 soldiers, security and military officials said.

The co-ordinated morning assaults in Sinai came a day after Egypt’s president pledged to step up the battle against Islamic militants and two days after the country’s state prosecutor was assassinated in the capital, Cairo. The attacks set off fierce fighting between the army and the militants that continued into Wednesday afternoon — the fiercest clashes in decades in the peninsula.

The scope and intensity of the attacks underscored the resilience and advanced planning by the militants who have for years battled Egyptian security forces in northern Sinai but intensified their insurgency over the past two years just as the government threw more resources into the drawn-out fight.

An Islamic State affiliate in Egypt claimed responsibility for Wednesday’s attacks, saying its fighters targeted a total of 15 army and police positions and staged three suicide bombings, two of which targeted checkpoints and one that hit an officers’ club in the nearby city of el-Arish. Canada News

Leaked Saudi Cable Claims Iran Sent Nuclear Equipment To Sudan

Khartoum photo
Khartoum

This month, WikiLeaks released 60,000 diplomatic cables between Riyadh and Saudi embassies in various countries. One diplomatic cable reports shipments of centrifuges to  in 2012.

Iran shipped advanced nuclear equipment to Sudan in 2012, according to a leaked document purportedly written by diplomats at the Saudi Arabian embassy in Khartoum at the time.

The memo, dated February 2012 and marked as “very secret,” was leaked last week by the WikiLeaks groups along with what it claimed were 60,000 other official Saudi communications over the weekend.

“The embassy’s sources advised that Iranian containers arrived this week at Khartoum airport containing sensitive technical equipment in the form of fast centrifuges for enriching uranium, and a second shipment is expected to arrive this week,” the document read, according to a Reuters report.

Even if authentic, the message does not include details on where the Saudi diplomats sourced their information or any particular details of the shipment that could be verified.

Sudan does not have its own nuclear program and there have not been previous claims that Iran sent nuclear-related equipment to the country. TimesOfIsrael

Photo by Scubabeer

Terror Attack On Tunisian Beach Resort

Map of Tunisia with Sousse highlighted.
Map of Tunisia with Sousse highlighted.

Horrific.   A terror attack on the popular holiday resort town Soussa in Tunisia has left 37 people died and 36 injured.

Laughing and joking among the midday bathers and sunseekers, he looked like any other tourist.

In fact Seifeddine Yacoubi was carefully selecting the victims he would murder with the Kalashnikov hidden in his parasol.

The British were his prime targets on the crowded Tunisian beachfront at El Kantaoui near Sousse.

But Germans, Belgians and Tunisians were also among his 37 victims – with 36 seriously wounded.

‘He was laughing and joking around, like a normal guy,’ said one witness. ‘He was choosing who to shoot. Some people, he was saying to them “you go away”. He was choosing tourists, British, French.’  DailyMail

Egypt Summons U.S. Ambassador Over Muslim Brotherhood Meetings

Flag_of_EgyptThe Egyptian government is understandably annoyed over the current White House administration’s continuing support for the Muslim Brotherhood.

Egypt summoned the U.S. ambassador in Cairo to show displeasure at Muslim Brotherhood figures coming to Washington for a private conference, sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.

One source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said U.S. officials did not intend to meet the group although they had met some Brotherhood figures that came to Washington in January.

The tensions reflect a clash between U.S. diplomats’ desire to deal with the whole political spectrum in Egypt and a fear of alienating Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi who, as army chief, toppled a Muslim Brotherhood-led government in 2013.

The sources declined to say precisely when U.S. Ambassador Stephen Beecroft was call in by the Egyptian government, though one said it was in recent days. Egypt sought the meeting to make clear its unhappiness at U.S. dealings with the Brotherhood.

State Department spokesman Jeff Rathke declined to say whether Beecroft was summoned by the Egyptian authorities or whether U.S. officials would meet Brotherhood figures visiting Washington, telling reporters he was aware of media reports of such a visit but that “I don’t have any meetings to announce.”

He said it continued to be U.S. policy to engage with people from across the political spectrum in Egypt. Reuters

Gaddafi’s Home City Of Sirte Falls To ISIS

sirtelibyaTwo warring governments and ISIS are spreading anarchy, destruction, and death in Libya .

Standing guard at his frontline post, Libyan soldier Mohammed Abu Shager can see where Islamic State militants are holed up with their heavy weaponry less than a kilometer away.

The militants have effectively taken over former dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s home city of Sirte as they exploit a civil war between two rival governments to expand in North Africa.

“Every night they open fire on us,” said Abu Shebar, who with comrades on Sirte’s western outskirts holds the last position of troops belonging to one of the two warring Libyan governments, the General National Congress, which controls the capital Tripoli and most of the west of the country.

“They are only active at night,” he said, pointing to the militants’ position in a house just down the road blocked by sandbags. He sleeps in a shed next to his firing positions where used tank shells litter the ground.

Libya, which has descended into near anarchy since NATO warplanes helped rebels overthrow Gaddafi in a 2011 civil war, is now the third big stronghold for the Sunni Islamist group, also known as ISIS or ISIL, which declared a Caliphate to rule over all Muslims from territory it holds in Syria and Iraq.

Islamic State fighters became a major force last year in Derna, a jihadi bastion in Libya’s east, and quickly spread to the biggest eastern city Benghazi, where they have conducted suicide bombings on streets divided among armed factions. Reuters