Video: US drops ‘mother of all bombs’ on cave, tunnel system in Afghanistan
It is with deep sadness that we confirm so far the death of nine MSF [Doctors Without Borders] staff members during the bombing last night of MSF’s hospital in Kunduz. Latest casualty figures report 37 people seriously wounded, of whom 19 are MSF staff. Some of the most critically injured are being transferred for stabilization to a hospital in Puli Khumri, two hours’ drive away. There are many patients and staff who remain unaccounted for. The numbers may grow as a clearer picture develops of the aftermath of this horrific bombing. Doctors Without Borders
It “may have resulted in collateral damage to a nearby medical facility”, said NATO coalition spokesman Colonel Brian Tribus.
3 Doctors Without Borders medical staff were confirmed killed and 30+ people are still unaccounted for as of early Saturday morning local time.
‘We are deeply shocked by the attack, the killing of our staff and patients and the heavy toll it has inflicted on healthcare in Kunduz,’ Bart Janssens, Doctors Without Borders Director of Operations said in a statement.
The organization said that it had treated 394 people in the city since Monday, adding that 105 patients and 80 staff were present at the time of the attack.
Doctors Without Borders said it did not have full casualty figures from the attack and its staff were treating injured patients and employees. Doctors Without Borders calls the hospital the “only facility of its kind” in Afghanistan’s northern region treating all regardless of a “patient’s ethnicity, religious beliefs or political affiliation.”
Doctors Without Borders: Afghanistan: MSF Staff Killed, Hospital Partially Destroyed in Kunduz